Sunday, April 29, 2012

Class Blog #13

So, for blog post 13 we had to fast technology for 24 hours. Needless to say I failed miserably. While I do go sometimes without technology this was just not a week where that was possible. The NBA Playoffs started and then the NFL Draft came on. I love sports and without technology I can't keep up with what's going on.

fb



I do believe that technology has impacted our life so greatly that it is hard to 24 hours without technology. I don’t think the hardest thing is going without things like the internet, Facebook and twitter. I think it is more of going without things like our iPods, ipads and our cell phones. Many people enjoy their ability to communicate with family and friends on a daily basis. For me, before I enlisted in the Navy I took for granted my ability to talk to my family and friends whenever I wanted. After 6 months of very limited contact with my family I do at minimum text my parents and siblings on a weekly basis and also go see them.

cell

The problem I believe most people have with giving up their technology is a lack of will power. I don’t have to use facebook everyday and I don’t have to check my gmail daily either. I choose to because it gives me the opportunity to communicate with family and friends. I enjoy being able to watch NFL Network all day, that way I get all the updates around the league and my New Orleans Saints. Could I go without it, yes, but why? To prove I can? To prove to Dr. Strange we can’t go without technology for 24 hours? These are not good enough reasons to give up things I enjoy.

Technology has become such a vital aspect of our life that going without it is hard, while going without the extra’s of technology would be simple ie. Facebook, twitter, internet. Giving up our ability to listen to music, text or call friends and family or even the ability to capture every moment as it happens is like asking the generation before mine to give up pacman or Atari. It is relatively new technology to many of my generation and their ability to connect like never before is something we should use, yet not take for granted.

1 comment:

  1. You had a lot of company. 75% of the class failed to abandon technology for 24 hours. I would probably have to take a cruse myself.

    ReplyDelete